Candidate Still Running Even with New District Lines
GAINESVILLE - Former Mayor Mac McEachern was shocked to find out his house is no longer in the district after filing his paperwork to run in the District 4 race.
"For example my signs won't be out until wednesday the day after tomorrow," McEachern said.
McEachern said he filed his paperwork in early January before the new district lines were drawn, but his house is now in District 1 before it was in District 4.
"The ordinance hadn't been signed hadn't been published," McEachern said.
Supervisor of Elections Pam Carpenter said according to Florida law as long as the paperwork is filed correctly nothing will be done to keep McEachern from running.
"Florida law provides the process that for any candidates eligibility regarding qualifying papers be vetted in a court of law that way it provides an opportunity for witnesses and evidence," Carpenter said.
Carpenter said her role is to just administer the paperwork, if someone in the race challenges McEachern's residency they would have to do it in court.
District 4 Incmbent Randy Wells said he's not going to take any legal action.
"it is my role to knock on doors and communicate with our citizens and to do the best I can to make the case for candidacy going forward," Wells said.
UF Student Alfredo Espinosa did not attend the meeting at the Alachua County Health Department but did say over the phone he's not interested in challenging McEachern's residency.
The head of the Democratic Party of Alachua County Robert Prather couldn't comment on much but is going to legal counsel to seek what options are available.
- Official list released of candidates for Gainesville's City Commission race
- District Four Candidate Makes Alachua County All Democratic Commission
- Alachua County Commission District 1 Race
- New Gainesville Commission Districts Drawn
- School Districts Faced With Tough Budgets, Even Tougher Decisions
- Still Dry Even After Heavy Rains
- Gainesville Commission At-Large Candidates Focus on GRU at Final 4A Forum
- Biomass Concerns Dominate Candidate Forum for Gainesville City Commission
- County Commission Picks In House Candidate for County Manager Job
- Gainesville City Commission Candidate Forum