Community Surprises Local Teen That Struggles with Illness
An Ocala teen has had three major surgeries...
And in celebration of his thirteenth birthday...the ocala community decided to build his dream.
Tonya Ramos: "so he has been fighting even before he was born".
That's how Tonya Ramos describes her thirteen year old son Michael.
He was diagnosed with with a congenital diaphragmatic hernia when he was just a baby.
Tonya Ramos said, "finding out that he had something that he was going to have to live with just means we have to be stronger as a family."
That strength is what helped them cope with Michael's diagnosis.
And the many surgeries that followed.
So far he has had all of his organs rearranged in his body and put back in their proper place.
And just in december a metal bar was put in his chest to make sure his bones grow properly.
But now, all of those hardships behind them, thanks to some wonderful help from volunteers.
And the sounds of chain saws and hammers ring out as volunteers work to build a surprise for a boy who has survived.
It all started with Michael just wanting a scrap of wood but now the community has come out and donated their time, their money and even their wood to make sure that Michael's dream comes true.
And that dream is for a fortress he can call his own.
So when they pulled him from school today to show him his birthday surprise...
You could say Michael was a little shocked.
And all he could say to the men and women who made this happen...
Was simply, "thank you".
Now Michael can continue his fight while enjoying a new fort.
The donations made were through the Ocala branch of the organization...kids helping kids.
They help multiple children throughout the community and are always in need of donations.
- Expert: Fla. Teen Attacker Mentally Ill, Not Responsible
- A Community Mourns The Death of Two Bradford High School Teens
- A Father's Day Surprise
- Marine Receives Special Surprise
- Surprise Extreme Home Makeover for Elementary School
- Homeowner Surprises Would-be Robber
- Newberry High Grad Receives Graduation Surprise
- Surprise Source of Donation For World War II Veterans
- Firefighters Say Structural Surprises In Travelodge Blaze
- Veterans Surprised with Silver Star Banner