County and City Approve FedEX plan
"Three main things we need in this county are jobs, jobs, jobs," said Jack Stackman.
Stackman of Marion County said even though he is retired, he is excited about new job opportunities in his community.
"I have children, I have grandchildren who need jobs,"said Stackman.
Fedex Ground Package System plans to build a hub at the Ocala/ arion County Commerce Park off of interstate 75 and US highway 27.
If the facility is built in ocala more than 100 jobs will be created in Marion County.
Tuesday afternoon, Ocala council members voted to invest more than $2 million for the project.
County commissioners unanimously approved an agreement that will offer more than one million dollars in incentives.
Commssion Chair Kathy Bryant said this is a big win for Marion County.
"For FedEX to bring the logistic hub to Marion County is huge because we all know that's going to spur more economic development, but more importantly than that it's the jobs," said Bryant.
Bryant said the FedEX facility will bring 165 full time jobs starting off.
With a possibility that 1000 jobs will be created within four years.
With Marion Countys unemployment rate currently at 8.9%, county commissioners said they want to focus on one specific task.
"We are trying to bring jobs in cooperation with other governments and other agencies to this community so that we can move forward and so that the families in our community can get back on their feet again," said said county commissioner Carl Zalak.
They believe this agreement is a start.
FedEX representatives said the plan is in the preliminary stages, but they hope it will come through.
"Hopefully it works out and we'll have an opportunity forward to do great things for the community," said William Conner who is a FedEX representative.
The city and county agreements will be sent back to the developer to finalize the plan.
Bryant said if everything runs smoothly, the facility should be completed sometime between the years 2015 and 2016.
- The city of Ocala gets a new FedEx Ground Hub
- Marion County Officials make push to bring Chewy, Inc. to Ocala
- FedEx Ground coming to Ocala
- New FedEx Facility in Marion County to Create 100 Jobs
- School board & city to come up with stormwater plan in lieu of paying fees
- Parking garage coming to downtown Ocala in 2016
- Rasmussen College's Annual Service Day In Ocala
- UPS, FedEx Under Fire for Late Christmas Deliveries
- Kid Who Hit FedEx Truck Gets New Bike
- Ocala Health begins $40 million dollar construction project