Eleven Guns at Buy-Back Reported Stolen
TAMPA - Officers in Tampa were surprised during a gun buy-back program by what some people were dropping off.
The Hillsborough County Sheriff's office collected hundreds of unwanted weapons, but some looked like they were straight out of the movies.
Among the items dropped off – a rocket launcher.
In exchange for each gun handed over, deputies gave out $75.00 and free tickets to a Rays or Lightning game.
By noon - they had run out of these incentives.
Some people offered reasons they were trading in their guns. One man says "I'm not a sportsman. I'm not out here shooting every day and all that so it was just for protection 20 years ago."
Another owner says “it hurts me to see kids getting killed, needlessly, you know, and so, that's why I turned the weapon in."
Deputies have already determined eleven of the guns turned in were previously reported stolen.
With no questions asked at the day of amnesty, they don't know where they came from, but they do know they'll never be back on the streets again.
- Trio of Thieves Use Stolen Credit Cards to Buy Electronics
- Man Buys Car Using Stolen Credit Card
- Ocala Accident with A Reported Stolen Vehicle
- Routine Arrest Leads to Stolen Police Gun
- Fourth Annual Great Halloween Candy Buy Back
- Zimmerman Cannot Have His Gun Back
- Colorado Shooter Buys Gun After He Fails Oral Exam
- Eleven-Year-Old Delivers Baby Sister
- Eleven Horses Killed in Williston Barn Fire
- Buy Local Gainesville Chamber of Commerce