Gainesville Porters Community Celebrates UF's First Football Game
GAINESVILLE - The City of Gainesville recognized a historic football game more than 100 years in the making.
The Porters Community Center unveiled the city's newest historical marker today.
It is called "The Ballpark," and tells the story of the University of Florida's first football game played on that site in 1906.
City officials and residents held the ceremony today in honor of Black History Month. The president of the Porters Community Organization, Gigi Simmons says - "it was critical that something positive took place in this neighborhood in order for us to move forward."
Neighborhood residents say the historical marker is part of a revival of the Gainesville Porters community.
- Gainesville's First Urban Farm
- Back to school backpack giveaway for the Porter's Community
- Engineers Send UF's First Cube Satellite to Space
- UF's Levin College of Law appoints first female Dean
- Thousands celebrate at UF's Homecoming Parade
- Gainesville prepares for UF's Homecoming weekend festivities
- Gator football defensive back arrested
- UF Football player arrested
- Former Gator football player arrested
- Man Charged With Bell Woman's Death Has A Criminal Past