Home Invader Shot to Death After Forcing Way into Ex-Girlfriend's Home
Published February 5th, 2013
NEWBERRY - The Gilchrist County Sheriff's Office says a man with a shotgun tried to get inside a Newberry home, only to be shot and killed by the residents inside. It happened early Sunday morning in the Gilchrist County portion of Newberry.
The sheriff's office says Kenneth David Drown, 21, tried to force his way into the home of his ex-girlfriend, who was identified by neighbors as Jessica Weeks. According to deputies, Drown initially showed up at the home armed with a shotgun before eventually leaving. That's when family members inside the home called 911, but not before Drown returned again. This time, the family inside was ready.
"They described him coming back inside with a firearm," said Gilchrist County Sheriff Robert Schultz. "At which time, the owner of the residence shot the intruder. Then a second shot was fired by a juvenile, who was also a resident at that home," said Schultz.
Drown received medical treatment when deputies arrived at the scene about a minute after the shooting took place, but he later died of his wounds at Shands Hospital. Although the shooting appears to be in self-defense, the sheriff's office says they must complete their investigation first before determining whether charges will be filed.
- Marion County man accused of killing ex-girlfriend's son
- 18-year-old Dies After Shooting at Ex-Girlfriend and Officers
- Man Clings to Ex-Girlfriend's Car for 10 Miles
- Police: Drunk Driver Assaults, Rams Ex-Girlfriend's Car
- 'Suspicious Death' In Gilchrist County Ruled A Homicide
- Two People Shot, Two Homes Invaded
- Two Men Force Way into Palatka Home, Take Money and Pills
- Man Kills Ex-Girlfriend, Her Mother
- CCSO: Man stabs ex-girlfriend
- Putnam County man murders ex-girlfriend