Homeless Women and Children on the Rise in Gainesville
GAINESVILLE - The results are in - the numbers from the recent homeless survey reveal Gainesville's homeless population is growing.
Theresa Lowe, the director of the Homeless Coalition says one area in particular is on the rise - that of women and children - "almost a third of unsheltered women were homeless, so that's a lot of women on the street, which isn't safe and 11% of them reported being pregnant."
Since last year, the number of homeless children has risen by 50% - from 316 kids in 2012 to 477 kids this year.
What's being done to help?
The city's homeless center being built at the former Gainesville Correctional Institution should be a done deal in June.
At a recent meeting to talk about the numbers and ask the homeless people themselves what they wanted to see happen in the community, they expressed the need for more job opportunities, and respect for the homeless population.
- What About the Children? Homeless Children in Alachua County
- Study shows rise in smoking among children
- Marion County Homeless Children Receiving Assistance for the Holidays
- Numbers of Homeless Children Growing
- Two Women Still Homeless After Fire
- Suicides In Gainesville On The Rise
- Scooter Thefts on the Rise in Gainesville
- Violent Crimes Rates Rise In Gainesville
- Christmas Tree Sales In Gainesville On The Rise
- Gainesville Homeless