Mental Health Forum
GAINESVILLE - It's a controversial topic no one wants to talk about and they expressed a concern they want to do a better job of working together with several mental health agencies out there.
The CEO of Meridian Behavioral Health Care says one in four people will be affected by mental health illness.
"I have a nephew who's 10 who faces significant mental health challenges" Karen Slevin who attended the meeting said.
Slevin said its not a problem getting mental health treatment, the problem is a lack of mental health services.
Slevin was at the mental health forum to find out if agencies providing mental health care will join together.
CEO of Meridian Behavioral Margartia Labarta said the purpose of this forum is to have open discussion about mental health instead of sweeping issues under the rug.
"We're hoping to eliminate that stigma simply by having people better informed, when you understand something you're less likely to discriminate against it, I would love to see us as an educated community come together and be compassionate and responsive," Labarta said.
- Children's Mental Health Awareness Week
- Mental Health First Aid Training
- Obama Calls for End to Mental Illness Stigma
- Last Candidates Forum Before Election
- AARP Holds Town Forum Meeting in Gainesville
- Republican Forum
- Candidates Forum, Faith's Role
- City Commission Candidate Forum
- Community Event STEM Forum
- 4 A's PAC Forum