Two Crossing Guards Laid to Rest
Families are mourning the deaths of the two crossing guards who died last week. 77-year-old Julia Barlow and 76-year-old Wilbur Barlow were laid to rest today at the Newberry Municipal Cemetery. Milam Funeral Home honored the couple by transporting their bodies past Oak View Middle School and Newberry Elementary School. These were the schools where they worked at. Alachua County Sheriff's deputies say their deaths are a loss to the whole community.
"Everything they did was for the Sheriff's Office and for the school, and they did it together. They were just a very big part of the family here. They deserve a fitting tribute," Art Forgey (Alachua County Sheriff's Deputy) said.
The couple died Wednesday night on February 20th, 2013 after hitting a semi-truck that was trying to back up on County Road 335.
- Man Approaches Girl Near Oak View Middle School
- Oak View Middle School students launch rockets
- Suspicious man reported near Newberry schools
- School board approves $6.2 million for middle-high project
- Union County Sheriff Laid to Rest
- Second Victim In I-75 Accident Laid To Rest
- Deputy Brandee Smith laid to rest
- 'Dads Take Your Kids to School Day' is a huge success at a local school
- Bomb threat at Kanapaha Middle School deemed hoax
- Two Crossing Guards Die in a Car Crash While Off Duty