County Holds First Veteran Referral Day
They were making civilians out of veterans. On Thursday, Alachua County leaders held the first Transition Information and Veteran Referral Day. The event provided services to veterans; including job opportunities, shelter, and treatment for those suffering from mental illnesses. FloridaWorks workforce development, The V.A. Medical Center, and VetSpace were some of the agencies on hand. County leaders say they're trying to help veterans who can't find jobs and need help reconstructing their lives.
"This is a way as a community to say we thank you for fighting for our freedom, but here we're going to make sure you have some opportunities in our community to get employment and get adjusted back to civilian life."Chuck Chestnut (County Commissioner) said.
Alachua County leaders say they will hold another Veteran Information Day next year. For more information on Veteran Services, you can visit the following links:
- Inmate Escapes From Alachua County Work Release Center
- "Back to Work" ends, but the job opportunities continue...
- Cynthia Chestnut New Chair of Alachua County Commission
- Marion County Holds First Ever "Football Media Day"
- The Cancer Center Opens at North Florida Regional Medical Center
- Vetspace First Golf Tournament
- North Florida Regional Medical Center Announces $58 Million Dollar Expansion Project
- North Florida Regional Medical Center Program Combats Growing Infectious Disease Problem
- In Marion County 160 First Year Teachers Will Lose Their Jobs
- Alachua County Schools Hold Annual Meet and Greet for Parents and Students