Loud "Booms" Reported Over NCF
We are receiving word from all over North Central Florida from people concerned about a pair of loud "booms" a little after nine o'clock Thursday night.
Some described it as exactly like a "sonic boom," but there does not seem to be a definitive explanation as to the source of the noise.
Viewers from as far north as Steinhatchee and as far south as Tampa--and all across the western half of North Central Florida-- say they heard the booms. Many felt as if someone was trying to break into their homes.
The Alachua County Sheriff's Office tells us the source of the sounds were "military maneuvers," but couldn't specify what they were.
National Guardsmen at Camp Blanding suggested to us there may be U.S. Navy bombing exercises at the Pinecastle Range in the Ocala National Forest. No launches were scheduled from Cape Canaveral along the space coast.
- Despite Reinstatement of Death Benefits, NCF Military Families Say Damage Has Been Done
- Just How Loud is it at Gatornationals?
- Unidentified Boom
- Free Events Draw Tourists To NCF
- Local Halloween Sales are Booming
- Firework Sales Boom Leading Up To Independence Day
- NCF Soldier Dies In Afghanistan
- Boom In Blueberries Could Be Impacted By Rain
- Fires Cause Dense Smoke in NCF
- Sonic Boom May Be A Fireball