Nations Park Opens
NEWBERRY, FL -- Today Newberry's Nations Park celebrated its grand opening with a ceremony and quite a few games of baseball.
After four years, concession stands are stocked, dugouts sit full of gear, and local community leaders were able to throw out a first pitch.
Amidst speeches and thank you's, City Manager Keith Ashby told attendees he's confident the 10 million dollar investment is about to pay off.
"If you went to a hotel here today, they're all full and that's exciting. That's what we've said we were going to do and we've done it," Ashby said.
The 16-field complex will host baseball and softball tournaments, and bring an estimated 50,000 tourists a year to North Central Florida.
Developers say that tourism could mean about 23 million dollars coming into the area's economy every year.
Local leaders from Alachua County joined congressman Ted Yoho in congratulating City of Newberry staff for their hard work and success.
There are several summer tournaments scheduled at Nations Park during the months of June and July.
- Silver Springs Opens As State Park
- Park Re-opens With New Boardwalk
- Nations Park In Newberry Filling In Sinkhole
- New Baseball Park In Newberry
- Thousands of Letter Openers From Around The World On Display
- Zimmerman Trial: Opening Statements Today
- Zimmerman Trial Day 11: Opening Statements
- Zimmerman Trial: Family Members Testify As Defense Opens Case
- Minor Improvements Made to Nations Ballpark Before Officially Opening
- Silver Springs Theme Park May Be Transformed Into a State Park