Seven Open-Air Drug Arrests by New GPD Unit
GAINESVILLE -A new unit called the Special Operations Unit is hitting the streets of Gainesville - and officers say they've hit the ground running.
Overnight, the unit arrested seven people including a minor on open-air drug charges.
The arrests spared no part of the city.
The new unit was created in January, and Officer Ben Tobias says it acts as a hub to all officers out on patrol in the city - "They handle information and if that information comes in through our patrol officers it kinda gets filtered through the Special Operations Unit and if it is something that they handle they will put their resources into it and they will get that info back to our patrol officers so they can track down people for crimes."
To create the unit, the Gainesville Police Dpartment had to consolidate different units, including the gang and housing units, to create the new division.
The division was designed to help alleviate neighborhood crime.
- Deputies: Man Tries To Mask Drugs With Lotion, Air Freshener
- An Exclusive Inside Look at the New GPD Building - Using Some New Technology
- Gainesville Police Department's New Special Operations Unit
- GPD Officer Arrest
- GPD DOOR KICK INS ARRESTS
- GPD Logs Robbery Arrests
- GPD Makes Arrest in Rape Case
- GPD: Gunman in Apartment Shooting Arrested, Writes About Crime on Facebook
- GPD Hires New Officers
- GPD Launches New Website to Report Sexual Assault, But There's Been No Reports