5 Shot, 1 Dead at Williston Festival
Williston, FL -- Five people were shot and one person has died following a shooting in East Williston at the annual Crab Festival.
The shooting occured shortly after 8 pm Saturday evening amongst more than ten thousand festival goers, according to Levy County Sheriff Bobby McCallum.
Multiple law enforcement agencies are assisting the Levy County Sheriff's Office and the Williston Police Department as they continue to search an active crime scene.
No arrests have yet been made.
McCallum says bullet casings have been recovered at the scene.
Officials believe the shooting may have been gang related, possibly a retaliation shooting over drugs.
About 70 law enforcement personel were already on scene and a triage unit was set up as a precaution for the festival, and McCallum says officers were less than 25 yards away when the shooting occurred.
Victims were taken out of the area in sheriff's vehicles, one person was airlifted to Shands Hospital and others were taken to hospitals in Gainesville and Ocala.
Officers are now interviewing victims and witnesses in the hopes of locating a suspect.
- Suspect Shot, Killed Following Chase
- Former Police Captain's Son is Shot, Killed
- Two People Shot, Two Homes Invaded
- Breaking: 3 Dead in Kentucky Condo Shooting
- Five Shot and Three Dead in Lake Butler Shooting Spree
- Officer Shot, Wounded in 6-hour Standoff
- Peanut Lovers Crowd Williston's Peanut Festival
- School Board Breaks Ground For New School in Williston
- First Apperance for Suspect in Crab Festival Shooting
- BREAKING NEWS: Mass Shooting in Bell