City Beautification Awards
They did their part to make Gainesville a more beautiful place. And Wednesday night, they were rewarded for their hard work. More than 20 projects were recognized with City Beautification Awards at the Thomas Center.
Here is a list of the 2013 honorees:
Outstanding Individual Award: Former Gainesville Mayor and Alachua County Commissioner Paula DeLaney.
Outstanding Group Award: Gainesville Garden Club.
Institutional Facilities: The Doris Bardon Cultural Center, the Media Center at Oak Hall School, Gainesville Regional Airport, Kristie's The Caring Place preschool, the IFAS Professional Development Center, and the Sweetwater at Duckpond assisted living facility.
Commercial & Retail Business: Family Dollar on NE 23rd Ave., McDonald's on NW 13th St., and Gainesville Nissan.
Apartments: Gertner Apartments, Laurel Vue, O'Byrne House, and Woodbury Row.
Restoration, Revitalization, & Adaptive Reuse: Catalyst Building, Chuy's restaurant, and Enterprise Rent-A-Car on W. University Ave.
Facade Improvements: The Esplanade at Butler Plaza, Henderson Building, and The Rock Downtown church on S. Main St.
Uniquely Gainesville: SW 13th St. Overpass
Outstanding Commercial Awards: Ashton Lane, Roberts' Stadium Club, and Walmart Supercenter on NW 23rd St.
Outstanding Institutional Awards: UF & Shands Family Medicine at Main and UF & Shands at Springhill
- City's Underage Drinking Ordinance Gets Award
- 2 cities win Fla. open gov't award
- Gainesville Wins Award for Combating Underage Drinking
- Gainesville Parks Awards
- Gainesville City Commissioner Wants To See Changes In East Gainesville Redevelopment
- Gainesville Charity Facing Freeze on Funding from City of Gainesville
- Gainesville 15th Most Well-Read City Says Amazon
- Gainesville Gay Rights Activists Celebrate SCOTUS Decision on Steps of City Hall
- Warren Defeats Orlando by 127 Votes in Gainesville City Commission Runoff
- Gainesville City Commissioners Consider New Roam Towing Regulations