New York Family Still Recovering from Starke Crash
GAINESVILLE -They are a family far from home, but not far from people who care.
The Malave family from Queens, New York crashed on May 30th in Starke.
Troopers from the Florida Highway Patrol say a car was traveling southbound in the northbound lane when the driver hit the Malave family's car.
Eleven year old Christian Malave died at the scene and Carlos Malave, the father, is still in the trauma unit at Shands.
The father is a brother in the Knights of Columbus and the local group here has provided the family with a house as Carlos Malave recovers.
Greg Sickone, Deputy Grand Knight - "They're wonderful people, they don't complain. Can you imagine being 12 or 15 hundred miles away from home...Can you imagine what that would be like ? I cant."
Local restaurants have also donated food to the family, and one of the daughters who is 14 is going to attend St. Francis as they wait for months for the father's recovery.
- Flight From Florida Diverted To New York
- New York Firefighter Speaks at Santa Fe
- Gainesville Wants Direct Flights to New York.
- Starke Man Injured in Motorcycle Crash
- Starke Family Loses Home And 5 Dogs To Fire
- Community Helps Alachua Family Recover and Rebuild
- Evidence is missing from Starke Police Department
- Boy Recovers From Surgery, Faces Several More
- Keystone Heights Woman Recovers From H1N1 Virus
- New Starke Waste Water Treatment Plant