Town of Inglis to Dissolve Local Police Department, Begins Neogtiating with Levy County Sheriff's Office
Published April 18th, 2013
INGLIS - Officials in Inglis have taken the first steps towards dissolving their police department. The town commission voted on Tuesday to begin negotiating an interlocal agreement for police services with the Levy County Sheriff's Office.
The Inglis Police Department currently employs five full-time officers, plus an additional five reserve officers, all of whom are expected to lose their jobs once a deal is reached.
Inglis officials did not want to be interviewed on camera, but told TV20 that the move to dissolve the department was made because the cost of running it was too high. According to commissioner Andrew White, it costs the town around $340,000 dollars every year to fund the department.
Yet according to the Levy County Sheriff, the town would end up paying just as much for service from his agency. Sheriff Bobby McCallum says his agency estimates it would cost the town of Inglis nearly $400,000 to get the same level of service as they currently get from the local police department.
All this comes just a month after voters in Inglis approved a referendum to dissolve their police and fire services, and transfer those duties to Levy County. While the referendum was thrown out by a judge a few weeks later, commissioners are still moving forward with those plans.
The Levy County Sheriff says he hopes to reach a deal with Inglis by the start of the next fiscal year on October 1.
- Levy County Sheriff's Office Promotes Gun Safety, Raises Money
- Another Johnson Steps Down From Levy County Sheriff's Office
- More Details Emerge In Levy County Sheriff's Office Investigation
- Levy County Sheriff's Office Launches New Investigation
- New Levy County Sheriff's Office Allegations
- Another Levy County Sheriff's Office Investigation Concludes
- New K-9 Vehicles For Levy County Sheriff's Office
- Levy County Sheriff's Office On Board With New Age Technology
- Levy County Sheriff's Office Justifies Spending
- Levy County Sheriff's Office Lieutenant Arrested for Armed Sexual Battery