Town of Inglis to Dissolve Local Police Department, Begins Neogtiating with Levy County Sheriff's Office
Published April 18th, 2013
INGLIS - Officials in Inglis have taken the first steps towards dissolving their police department. The town commission voted on Tuesday to begin negotiating an interlocal agreement for police services with the Levy County Sheriff's Office.
The Inglis Police Department currently employs five full-time officers, plus an additional five reserve officers, all of whom are expected to lose their jobs once a deal is reached.
Inglis officials did not want to be interviewed on camera, but told TV20 that the move to dissolve the department was made because the cost of running it was too high. According to commissioner Andrew White, it costs the town around $340,000 dollars every year to fund the department.
Yet according to the Levy County Sheriff, the town would end up paying just as much for service from his agency. Sheriff Bobby McCallum says his agency estimates it would cost the town of Inglis nearly $400,000 to get the same level of service as they currently get from the local police department.
All this comes just a month after voters in Inglis approved a referendum to dissolve their police and fire services, and transfer those duties to Levy County. While the referendum was thrown out by a judge a few weeks later, commissioners are still moving forward with those plans.
The Levy County Sheriff says he hopes to reach a deal with Inglis by the start of the next fiscal year on October 1.
- Levy County Sheriff's Deputies Replace Inglis Police, Saves Town Money
- Marion County Sheriff's Office Granted More Money for Cars
- Marion County Sheriff's Department reinstates terrorist intelligence unit
- Alachua County Sheriff's Deputies Create Workout for Fallen Officers
- Meth Lab Busted in Inglis, 12 Arrested
- Levy County Sheriff's Department to Take Over Protection of Inglis
- Two Women In Clay County Are Shot At In Their Car, One Dies
- Levy County Deputies Make Second Meth Bust in Two Days
- Family of Levy County Shooter Releases Statement
- Columbia County Inmates Shot by Gunman