Bear on the Loose in Kirkwood Neighborhood in Southwest Gainesville
GAINESVILLE, Fla.-GPD officers were on patrol in the kirkwood neighborhood this morning urging residents to stay inside until they have a clearer idea of where the bear may have travelled.
Police are urging residents to keep their distance from the animal if spotted even though reports state that the bear appears skittish than aggressive.
Kirkwood resident Priscilla Fernandez almost couldn’t believe her eyes this morning when an unexpected visitor turned upon her front lawn.
“I saw a shadow of him at first and that’s when I got scared and I looked again and it was a bear.”
And she’s not the only one of her neighbors that have been able to catch a glimpse of the animal.
Neighbors report sightings of the bear close to nearby dumpster and even backyard swimming pools in the Kirkwood neighborhood.
The area surrounding the neighborhood is heavily wooded away from 13th street.
Reports of any bear sightings can be forwarded to FWC at 1-888-404-3922.
- Ducks to be Removed from Historic Duck Pond Neighborhood in Gainesville
- Bear Sighting in Southwest Gainesville
- Woman Found Dead Inside Southwest Ocala Home in what Police are Calling a Homicide
- String of Burglaries in One Alachua County Neighborhood May be Connected
- Bear that Killed Goats Still on the Loose
- Gainesville Students Return While Staff Step Up In Wake of Newtown Tragedy
- Gainesville Veterans Honor Pearl Harbor Hero
- George P. Bush Makes a Stop in Gainesville, Encouraging Young Voters to Get to the Polls
- Man Shot in SouthWest Gainesville
- Shooting at Gainesville Apartment Complex Lands One Man Behind Bars