City of Newberry Unsure How to Manage New Community Center
NEWBERRY, Fla. -Commissioners within the City of Newberry are juggling the idea of public versus private management practices.
People we spoke to in the Meadowbrook Community,where the center is set to open, say that having a city owned building managed by the city recreation department is a no brainer, but city leaders say the decision is not that easy.
The Community center was funded in part by a half a million Wild Spaces Public Places grant. that money was split between Newberry’s Triangle Park and the Martin Luther King Community Center.
282-thousand dollars of that money was set aside for the MLK Community Center project.
City manager for the Newberry, Keith Ashby explains, “...request for proposal is basically that the city is asking,ok we can do this within our rec department with these kind of programmatics, but is there a more efficient way to do it from a cost standpoint so that the citizens of newberry don’t have to bear the cost in any way.”
If the burden is one newberry residents have to bear, it’ll likely come in the form of increased taxes... one reason the commission is hesitant to move forward.
Last year 70-thousand dollars of budget money was set aside to run the facility.
After bids from private companies come in the commission will decide which entity can perform the best quality service at a minimum cost to the city.
- NAACP Calls for the Resignation of Lake City Police Chief and City Manager
- Williston City Manager Fired
- With New Fiscal Year Approaching, City Leaders are Working to Budget Biomass Plant
- Lake City Police Chief and City Manager Aren't Going Anywhere
- Alachua County Commissioners Reach Out to Third Manager Candidate
- Rick Drummond Prepares Leave County Manager Seat as Betty Baker Steps in
- A Walk to Remember for Newberry High School Grad
- Kids Tell Us What MLK Day Means To Them - And How Far We Have to Go
- Inmate Escapes From Alachua County Work Release Center
- Gainesville City Commissioners Remain Unsure About Bus Rapid Transit System