Columbia County Shooting Involving Deputy
COLUMBIA COUNTY - A sheriff's deputy shot a many early Friday morning. Some neighbors said it is rare to hear shots in the area.
The one shotgun blast they heard early this morning more frightening than it might otherwise have been.
According to an incident report, Columbia County Sheriff's Deputies were called to a mobile on 315 Northwest Lamar Place, which is Northwest of Lake City around 1 Friday morning.
When deputies arrived they say 36 year old Justin Ferguson was armed with a handgun and threatening to harm himself and law enforcement deputies.
They say before a crisis negotiating unit arrived Ferguson tried to run past deputies towards nearby homes.
A deputy fired one shot from his shotgun hitting Ferguson.
"Around here its rare to people to hear a gunshot they get worried about what's happening in the neighborhood, " Joseph VanSise a neighbor said.
Fegurson was taken to Shands Hospital in Gainesville for medical treatment but Shands officials are not releasing his condition.
The Columbia County Sheriff's Office would not comment on the incident.
They're waiting on FDLE to finish their investigation.
The deputy who fired the shotgun has been put on administrative leave.
- Columbia County Deputy Forced to Shoot Attacking Dog
- Details in Deputy Involved Shooting
- UTV Accident in Columbia County Involving Three Young Girls
- Columbia Co. Deputies Searching for Shooting Suspect
- Deputy Involved in Fatal Shooting
- Manatee Co. Officials Identify Deputy Involved in Shooting
- 1 Dead After Deputy-Involved Shooting
- Columbia County Deputies Arrest Naked Burglar
- Columbia County shooting suspect on the loose
- A Teen Shoots A Volusia County Sheriff's Deputy