Explosion Rocks Downtown Thursday Night
GAINESVILLE - Life is back to normal downtown after an underground power transformer fire knocked out power to hundreds of people.
The fire and explosion happened near Northwest 1st street around 10pm Thursday.
The fire left six blocks of downtown without power for several hours.
Police blocked off the area around Main and University Avenue while repairs were made.
Gainesville Fire Rescue Interim District Chief said, "we ended up doing a grid search throughout the blocks. We had the mounted police from GPD and each one of our fire departments staff was on foot making sure that all of our manhole covers was in place. "
GRU workers managed to redirect power while they made repairs.
- Massive Explosions Rock Central Fla. Gas Plant
- Thursday Night High School Sports Across Gainesville
- Thursday Night High School Football
- Vanguard, Cornerstone, Oak Hall Among Thursday Night's Volleyball Winners
- Gainesville, Suwannee, Union Co., Dixie Co. win Thursday Night Football
- Weapons, Explosives Found in Dorm at UCF
- Rockers Rock Business in Gainesville
- R.O.C.K. Camp Send-Off
- Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Famer Bo Diddley Dies at Age 79
- Operation Rock Star Big Success