Governor Rick Scott Presents Former Gator Coach Steve Spurrier with Award
GAINESVILLE - Governor Rick Scott visited the Swamp today and met up with former Gator coach Steve Spurrier.
The governor presented Spurrier the Great Floridian Award, to go right next to his Heisman.
Spurrier is among 70 Floridians to receive the award since 1981, one of the latest to receive it, Tim Tebow.
The governor met with Spurrier at the F Club, then headed with the media to the stadium to present him with the award.
Spurrier said while he was raised in east Tennessee, he was born in Florida and has been a resident here the most.
The governor gave Spurrier the award for how he guided the Gators when he came to coach in the 90's, a time Spurrier reflected on for us today - "I came at the perfect time…the exact perfect time…the ball players were already here, there wasn't much expected of Florida although we had an excellent team and of course we won the SEC Championship the first two years and almost won it the third year. The situation was as good as any coach could have had it."
It was because of his ability to lead the Gators to victory, and his own personal achievements the governor told us made Spurrier the perfect fit - "he started right here in our great state with a lot of success so you want to give it to people who have done the right thing with their lives and are an inspiration to others and that's what's great about giving it to Coach Spurrier."
Among some of the other winners of the award include governors, supreme court justices, and former FSU head football coach Bobby Bowden.
- Unions Thank Senator Oelrich For Anti-Prison Privatization Stance
- Governor Scott Enlists Support from Board of Education
- FL Lt. Governor Carlos Lopez-Cantera Visits Ocala Business Owners
- Governor Scott Full Interview
- Governor Scott Rescheduled Gore Execution For October
- Governor Scott Signs Death Warrant
- Governor Scott Pushes For Healthcare For Floridians
- Race to the Governor's Office
- Close Race to Governor's Mansion
- Vote 2014: Update on Governors Race Before Polls Close