Hare Krishna Temple Vandalized
They say they were trying to "cleanse" the temple, but they ended up making a mess.
Alachua County Sheriff's Deputies arrested 25-year-old Melshizedek Reyes. He is accused of vandalizing the Hare Krishna Temple in Alachua over the weekend. Deputies say 54-year-old Peter Bergman also was involved. He was not arrested because he was a wearing a hospital bracelet and told deputies he needed medical attention for cancer.
Deputies say both men poured bleach on a fountain outside. They also knocked over a rack of shoes inside the temple and poured bleach all over the floor. Deputies say their behavior did not indicate a hate crime.
"What they did say was that the place was dirty, and that they were spreading the bleach to clean it up. However, they went into the restroom, clogged the toilets, and defecated on the floor so their logic just wasn't real sound," Art Forgey (Alachua County Sheriff's Office) said.
Reyes tried to run away, turned around and then charged at a deputy so he was tased. Deputies have filed a sworn complaint against Bergman with the State Attorney's Office to get a warrant issued for his arrest.
- LaCrosse Church Vandalized
- Business in Ocala Vandalized
- Teens Arrested for Vandalizing Lake Weir Middle School
- Nearly 30 Cars Damaged by BB Gun Vandals
- Ocala Boys & Girls Club Trashed, Police Search for Vandal
- Statue Vandalized at St. Francis House
- Kanapaha Park Vandalized, Flag Stolen
- Graves Vandalized by Criminals
- CAR VANDALIZED
- Cemetery Vandalism