More Travelers By Car Than by Plane, This Memorial Day Weekend
Published May 24th, 2013
GAINESVILLE - Many more people are traveling by car than plane this year. In fact, according to the AAA only seven percent of travelers in florida will fly this memorial weekend. It seems like, not many people are ditching the road trips to big cities but we stopped by the gainesville regional airport to check in with those who are traveling this year.
Gainesville Regional Airport's CEO says they're used to seeing a 5 to 7 percent increase in passengers during Memorial Day Weekend. And while total numbers for travelers this memorial holiday won't be in until after the weekend the usual increase is expected to be lower this year due to the economy AAA says.
Some travelers like, Sandy and Fred Edelson aren't slowing down though. I met a couple taking advantage of their three day weekend and extending their travels overseas to China. "We've been to a few foreign countries but not one where the language is... The alphabet and everything is so dissimilar that you can't possibly understand anything. Yeah, we're relying a lot on our tour group," they said.
Some people out of state, on the other hand took the holiday opportunity to come back home, while others visited gainesville for the first time. Maggie Sullivan and Alexandra Diekmann said, "We gotta cram it all in, in the three day weekend yes. I don't come back that often so i gotta make the most of it. And this is all new to me."
Here are some tips we got from the triple a, when air traveling. Always check your airport's status beforehand, for any delays. Search for the lowest air fares and reserve your flight tickets ahead of time. Or wait till last minute and try to find some good deals and discounts.
- Tips For Traveling On The Road... Memorial Day Weekend
- Memorial Day Weekend Boating
- Labor Day Holiday Weekend Travel By Plane
- Labor Day Holiday Weekend Travel By Car
- Starke Family Loses Home And 5 Dogs To Fire
- More Drivers Expected on the Roads this Memorial Day Weekend
- Man travels more than 800 miles for promotion
- Air Travel Problems in Europe Affect Two Gainesville Residents
- Gainesville Man Lands Behind Bars After Breaking into a Car at an Auto Repair Shop
- Endo's Journey, Dog Traveler