Paychecks for Patriots Event
GAINESVILLE - Some wrote a check by risking their lives to serve our country, and now they're in need of earning paychecks.
Florida Works officials held their first "Paychecks for Patriots" event that's geared towards helping veterans find employment.
Twenty employers were at the Kanapaha Freedom Community Center which include Dollar General, Nationwide Insurance and Walmart.
The goal of the event is to help veterans make sure they have the proper support when finding a job.
"They served their country and we want to give something to them back after they get back from service," Phyllis Marty Sr. Program Manager at Florida Works said.
"Whatever our brothers and sisters need that went off and made the sacrifice should be provided every company should be hiring veterans no matter what their background is no matter what their criminal history is whatever it is they should get a waiver," Williams Adams, a Vietnam Veteran said.
More than 115 veterans attended Friday's hiring fair.
- Workers Demand their Paychecks
- Slices of Joy For Local Vets During Super Bowl Sunday
- Pizzas 4 Patriots
- Businesses prepare for Super Bowl XLIX
- Furloughs Threaten National Guard's Readiness in Event of a Hurricane
- Super finish: Patriots edge Seahawks 28-24 for NFL title
- Gator Aviators Celebrate A Victory During The National Red Bull Flugtag Event
- How volunteers surprised event coordinators at the LPGA Tour in Ocala
- Memorial Day events happening around North Central Florida
- Third Annual Empty Bowls Event Fighting Hunger in North Central Florida