"Raise The Roof"
Published May 8th, 2013
GAINESVILLE-- The campaign to "Raise The Roof,"For The Girls Place" of Gainesville kicked off this weekend.
TV20's Chris Gilmore reports that children hope to benefit from the new gym in more ways than one.
"What would you be doing if weren't volleyball at girl's place....I have no clue it's changed my life," said Girl's Place volleyball player Layla Ashley.
A Girls Place has touched the lives of many through their athletics program, some of whom were present at a fundraiser aimed at improving their athletic facility.
People stopped by KB Cakes in Alachua in support of plans to build a new volleyball gym for a popular sport with area girls.
"We're actually at a point where we're gonna have to turn girls away because there's not enough room,not enough hours in the day so if we had a bigger gym we could add a couple more courts... think of how many girls in the community that we could serve,and that's what today was all about," said UF Volleyball coach Mary Wise
"Six years ago my best friend and god daughter, who was my daughter's best friend, were murdered in Gainesville," said Erika Ashley.
Ashley found that volleyball was one of the only sports that struck a chord with her daughter.
"I can't tell you the change that I've seen in my daughter, like she has friends, she enjoys it, she's good at it which has been a lot of fun," said Ashley.
All girls, that people present say, deserve better facilities.
Tthe fundraiser included a silent auction showcasing items like signed footballs and volleyballs.
All proceeds will be sent to the "Raise the Roof" campaign, keeping girls like Layla doing what they love.
"nothing else fits me better," said Layla.
Staff expect the facility to cost between 2 and 3 million dollars.
- Wise Joins Effort with "Raise the Roof" Fundraiser for Girls Place
- Mary Wise Works With Girls Place to "Raise the Roof"
- Technology Spotlight 11/30/10 "Raise The Village"
- Alachua County Employees Will See Pay Raise to "Restore" Pension Contribution
- Cadets get "fired up" to raise money
- "Pedal-Off" raises $20,000 for breast cancer
- Burglary Suspect Falls Through Restaurant Roof
- Camping Out on Store Roof Top
- Woman's Roof has Leaked for Three Years- Now She's Getting a New One
- Was Your Roof Damaged By Tropical Storm Andrea?