Sex Offender Sentenced for Failing to Reregister
There are about 600 registered sex offenders and sex predators living in Marion County.
One of them is 34- year- old Jerrod Leonard Chandler.
"He falsely imprisoned an 11 -year -old girl and then he sexually abused her which was his originally charge," said Detective Keith Miller with the Marion County Sheriff's Office.
Chandler was found guilty back in 2002 and he was sentenced to 22 months in prison.
Since Chandler was released from prison, he was supposed to follow the state sex offender requirements.
Chandler registered his mothers home as his permanent address, but Det. Miller said he's often not there.
"The total arrests he's had for failing to comply alone is six times," said Det. Miller.
Det. Miller said Chandler is required to reregister four times a year.
Once during his birth month and every three months after.
According to Miller, on February, which is Chandlers birth month, Chandler failed to go into the sheriffs office and reregister.
" We had been to his mothers house numerous times and she said he was no longer living there. We didn't know where he was at," said Miller.
During a jailhouse interview, Chandler said he never broke the law.
"So you are saying all these charges of you failing to comply are what, a lie?"
"It's not right. I am complying with them, but they say I am not complying with them," said Jerrod Chandler.
Just last week, Chandler was sentenced to 10 years in prison.
"It's very important for them to comply. We make it as easy for them as possible to get into the office and register quickly and get back out," said Miller.
Not reporting to authorities could actually earn sex offenders more time than the first crime.
Below a link with a ful list of sex offender/ predators requirements for the state of Florida.
- Convicted Sex Offender Asks to be Castrated
- Registered Sex Offender Arrested for Lewd Behavior on Underage Girl
- President Obama Forms Task Force to Crack Down on College Sex Assaults
- State Legislature Cracking Down on Sex Solicitors.
- Marion Co. Man Fails to Enroll Daughter in School, Says He is a Sovereign Citizen
- Sex Offenders In Your Neighborhood: One Woman's Shocking Discovery
- Sex offender near school bus stop
- Sex offender arrested in Clay County
- Levy County Sheriff's Office Cracks Down on Career Criminals
- Detectives cracking down on meth labs in Alachua County