Woman Falls From Third Story Balcony At A Party
Gainesville, FL -- A 19 year old woman who fell off a third story balcony on Saturday escaped with only minor injuries.
Gainesville Police Department officers say the woman had been drinking and was taken to Shands hospital.
The 23 year-old hosting the party has been issued a notice to appear in court for an open house party.
High school students in Alachua County are just weeks away from summer vacation, while incoming freshman are now making their way UF and Santa Fe to begin their college careers.
This mixing of young adults over the summer months can prove tricky in a college town, as underage drinking can be a real temptation during the teenage years.
Summer usually offers a sampling of college with lighter course loads than the traditional fall or spring semesters.
"They're excited to have all this freedom away from their parents and they get in over their head on some of these instances," Ben Tobias with the Gainesville Police Department.
Instances like Saturday night's party at the Courtyards apartments where a 19 year-old woman being served alcohol fell over the wall of a third floor balcony.
Summer in a college town can be dangerous not only for 18 to 20 year-olds, but also for minors in middle or high school.
"There's really a lack of activities in terms of social activities for them to become involved in, so underage drinking and other drug use becomes very popular and trendy" Partners in Prevention of Substance Abuse Coordinator Gwendolyn Love says.
For minors, access to alcohol may not come from bars and restaurants, it often comes from friends or family members who are of age.
While current college students may need to start making their own decisions, advocates say parents can help intervene and set their children up for a safe and successful future.
"You need to be very proactive and start talking about these things and not let them become an issue, and let your children know where you stand," Love says.
- Underage Drinking Ordinance Meets Resistance
- Underage Drinking Ordinance Passes
- Proposed Ordinance Hopes To Cut Down On Underage Drinking
- Big Win for Florida Gators, Big Loss for Underage Drinkers at Tailgating Parties
- Cracking Down On Underage Drinking
- Ocala Bar Facing Underage Drinking Charges
- Police Say Underage Drinking Ordinance is Working
- GPD Officers Report Drop in Underage Drinking
- Gainesville Restaurant May Be Punished for Underage Drinking Violations
- Underage Drinking Study at UF