Double Shooting In Lake City, Family Reaction
Published June 27th, 2013
LAKE CITY - While it's not the first time something like this has happened in a higher crime neighborhood such as this one, Debra Akins who lives a couple of houses from where the shooting happened, can't help but feel scared. Akins said, "All the people in the neighborhood just look out for each other... We're sort of close-knit. And to know that somebody came into the neighborhood and killed somebody that lived in the neighborhood and we don't know who it is, is scary."
30-year-old Christopher McConell and 48-year-old Elijah Dunning were inside a vehicle when someone approached them and for unknown reasons fired several shots into the car. The shooting happened right here in Lake City near Northwest Alma Avenue and Jefferson Street. Neighbors say that Monday at approximately 1:45 a.m. they heard at least 5 gunshots.
Injured, Dunning was able to drive to a nearby hospital while McConell was pronounced dead. Dunning is now in fair condition. His daughter, Donisha Dunning tells me she can only hope for the best. "I don't feel safe at all, because they are still out there and they need to come forward with what they did... You know? We got your tracks and all. It's ridiculous," she said.
However McConell's family wasn't as lucky. Willie McConell the father of the victim who died said he seeks justice. He added, "I hope the police catches him, whoever he is... Before I get to them and find out who they is."
Jeannette McConell said that now the only memories she has of her youngest son, are the photo albums left behind. She said, "My son's life was tooken and when they murdered him they shot him in his face, so how do you think a person feel if somebody do your child like that?"
The investigation is ongoing as K9 tracking teams were not able to locate the shooter. Anyone with information regarding this incident is urged to contact the Lake City Police Department at 386-752-4344. Or anonymously through the TIPS Line at 386-719-2068. Or through Facebook.
- Lake City Police Officer Shoots, Kills Armed Driver at DUI Checkpoint
- Lake City Police Pursuit
- Aguilar Family Preparing For The Worst...
- Police Find New Evidence On Aguilar's Case
- Gainesville Police Trying To Keep Kids Out Of Trouble
- Puppy Buried Alive, Accidentally Found By Williston Police
- $3.3 Million Deficit, May Lead To Department Cutbacks For The City Of Gainesville
- Lake City Police Still Investigating Accidental Shooting Death of 11-Year Old Boy
- Lake City Police Arrest Three Men for Home Invasion and Shooting
- Lake City Police Investigate Shooting