Flag Day Reading Celebration
In celebration of Flag Day this past Friday, Marion County held its American Flag Retirement Ceremony earlier today.
38 fourth and fifth grade winners from 10 different Marion County public schools read their winning essays on what the flag means to them.
The winning essays were chosen by the Marion County Veteran's Organization.
The winners got the chance to read their essays in front of parents, friends, and Veterans of different branches.
Along with reading their essays students also received certificates of recognition for their patriotic writing abilities.
One veteran said just how much he appreciated the kids work.
"It's actually very heartfelt and and very warming to see that youngsters, kids, actually know what it means and they come out and express their feelings and their knowledge of the flag and the day," said Patrick Joynt of the Marine Corps League of Marion County.
Also in recognition of those so served, a flag retirement ceremony was held before the essay reading.
- Veteran Flags Retired in Ocala
- A Field of Flags in Ocala
- American Flags Fly High in Cedar Key on Independence Day
- Ocala Celebrates Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Students Kick Off Veterans Day Festivities One Day Early
- Veterans Living at Ritz Ocala
- Veteran Gets Mortgage Free Home in Ocala
- The Ocala Marion County Veterans Memorial Park
- Marion County Veterans Day
- Huge Veterans Day Exhibit in North Central Florida