Woman Arrested For Leaving Children Unattended at 2 a.m.
Alachua County, Fla. -- An Alachua County woman was charged with 2 counts of child neglect after officers found her two young children, who she says are autsitic, outside and alone at 2 a.m. Saturday.
24-year-old Deja Mitchell was arrested after she returned to her home to find Sheriff's deputies waiting for her.
According to the Alachua County Sheriff's Office arrest report, a deputy responding to a child neglect report found the children, ages 4 and 5, standing outside the residence with the door open.
Witnesses said Mitchell left the home around 10 p.m.
When she returned shortly after 2 a.m. she told officers her boyfriend was supposed to watch the children, they later found out he was at work and never scheduled to watch them. .
She later changed her story saying she went to meet a man at Motel 6.
The report states Mitchell admitted to leaving the children unsupervised, telling officers no one wants to watch special needs kids.
She told officers both children have been diagnosed with Autism, saying it is hard for her to have a life having children with disabilities.
- Fla. Woman Arrested in Death of Fiance in Tennessee
- Columbia County Woman Arrested for $160,000 In Medicaid Fraud
- Gainesville Woman Arrested For Chasing Down Man With Car
- Former NFL Player Leaves Child Alone in Car
- Man accused of neglect after leaving boy alone
- Keeping Your Children Safe From Sex Offenders
- Ladies Don't Leave Your Purses Unattended
- Zephyrhills Woman Shoots Husband
- Man Gets 25 Years for Killing Woman
- Woman's Decomposing Body Found