Woman Charged with Extortion
A Marion County woman was arrested for trying to blackmail another woman for committing the first crime.
Detectives said that back in May, 46 -year- old Sebrina Denise Hampton was arrested for stealing from Ross department store.
After the incident, Hampton is accused of threatening to implicate another woman, Lillie Brown Smith, in the crime; unless Smith helped pay her attorney fees and bail money.
If she didn't pay, then Hampton threatened to give Smith's name to the States Attorneys Office.
Smith made a couple of payments at first, but running out of money and fearing Hampton, Smith contacted the Marion County Sheriff's Office.
Detectives then planned an undercover operation.
On Tuesday the victim and Hampton met at a Florida Citizens Bank , as detectives watched the transaction.
Hampton even came with an agreement stating how much smith was required to pay.
"Not only did the victim sign the agreement, she turned in the initial amount of money. They had a conversation. All of that we got on tape and at that point we were able to move in and arrest Hampton," said Judge Cochran with the Marion County Sheriff's Office.
detectives discovered hampton wanted $600 per month for the next five years.
a total of $36,000.
Hampton is charged with extortion, a second degree felony and her bond is set at $5,000.
- Man arrested for extorting step father, police say
- Marion County May Benefit from National Rodeo's Possible New Venue
- Convicted Killer Darius Kimbrough Executed
- Hampton City Leaders Dispute State Audit, as Sheriff Considers Criminal Charges
- Formal Charges Filed Against Hampton Mayor
- Suwannee County Woman Charged with Vehicle Homicide
- Marion County Man Charged with Sexual Battery
- Marion County Man Charged With Hate Crime
- Marion County Man Arrested on Multiple Charges of Child Pornography
- Armed Woman Robs Bank in Marion County