Woman Charged with Extortion
A Marion County woman was arrested for trying to blackmail another woman for committing the first crime.
Detectives said that back in May, 46 -year- old Sebrina Denise Hampton was arrested for stealing from Ross department store.
After the incident, Hampton is accused of threatening to implicate another woman, Lillie Brown Smith, in the crime; unless Smith helped pay her attorney fees and bail money.
If she didn't pay, then Hampton threatened to give Smith's name to the States Attorneys Office.
Smith made a couple of payments at first, but running out of money and fearing Hampton, Smith contacted the Marion County Sheriff's Office.
Detectives then planned an undercover operation.
On Tuesday the victim and Hampton met at a Florida Citizens Bank , as detectives watched the transaction.
Hampton even came with an agreement stating how much smith was required to pay.
"Not only did the victim sign the agreement, she turned in the initial amount of money. They had a conversation. All of that we got on tape and at that point we were able to move in and arrest Hampton," said Judge Cochran with the Marion County Sheriff's Office.
detectives discovered hampton wanted $600 per month for the next five years.
a total of $36,000.
Hampton is charged with extortion, a second degree felony and her bond is set at $5,000.
- Man behind bars for blackmailing a woman
- Man arrested for extorting step father, police say
- Hampton City Leaders Dispute State Audit, as Sheriff Considers Criminal Charges
- Formal Charges Filed Against Hampton Mayor
- Deputies: 16-year-old attempted robbery suspect could be charged as adult
- Summerfield Business Owner Charged with Child Pornography
- Convicted Killer Darius Kimbrough Executed
- Belleview Woman Struck by Train, Marion Co. Residents Call for Preventative Measures
- Gainesville Woman Threatens Man with Mace, Charged with False Imprisonment
- Man Charged With Bell Woman's Death Has A Criminal Past