BOLD Program Takes Part in GPD Construction Project
Published July 18th, 2013
GAINESVILLE, Fla.- Its starting to come together for the new Gainesville Police Headquarters, and for some of the people working on the construction site.
As workers start to install the structural steel for the building, at least one of the men doing the work is rebuilding his life.
A GPD program is helping at- risk young men get on the right side of the law through employment as well as education.
It's called BOLD or brave overt leaders of distinction.
Through one of its members the program is helping change the face of the Gainesville police department but also the future of the community.
Construction on the Gainesville police department headquarters is driving forward on schedule.
But to Mitchell more than the others on the project, this job is helping get his life on track with the help of the bold program.
Bold program participant, Simon Mitchell reflects on his involvement, "Where would i be without the bold program? Probably following those same patterns that i was following that was getting me in bad situations."
Mitchell has had multiple run ins with the law but says that the bold program has helped him turn over a new leaf.
Out of the 41 people the bold program has served in the community only 3 have gone back to jail.
Construction on the GPD headquarters building is scheduled to wrap up next January.
- Ocala Health begins $40 million dollar construction project
- More changes for Northwest 8th construction project
- Business owners concerned about Midtown construction project
- Small Ocala businesses take a negative hit becaue of construction
- Top Young Scientist Takes Science Project to Washington
- "Project Princess" takes a visit to Gigi's Playhouse
- GPD's Non-Profit Program On The Hook For $2,500
- GPD: Pizza manager arrested for canceling orders, taking cash
- Marion County Sheriff Makes "Bold" Proposal
- Weight Loss Programs Part 6