Prescribed Fire Burn
If you are driving in the U.S. 441 and County Road 234 area...you will need some extra time... due to heavy smoke.
The Division of Forestry in Paynes Prairie Preserve State Park started a prescribed burn this morning that will last until 8 oclock tonight.
Fire is a natural part of both forest and grassland ecology… and making controlled fires is a tool for foresters.
"By us doing these more controlled, prescribed fires, it ensures that we're doing it on our terms, not when the lightning strikes. so it ensures the health of the forrest and the continuation of the ecosystem and the animals that live in it," said Matt Bledsoe, Assistant Park Manager at Paynes Prairie Preserve State Park.
Controlled burning also reduces fuels for fires, may improve wildlife habitat, and controls competing vegetation.
- Largest Prescribed Burn at Etoniah Creek State Forest
- Prescribed Burning Season in North Central Florida
- Prescribed Fire for a North Central Park and its Wild Life
- State's Largest Fire Continues to Burn in North Central Florida
- Travelodge Gainesville Burns In New Year's Eve Fire
- Man Burned In Early Morning House Fire
- Santa Fe Swamp Fire Still Burning
- Gainesville Woman Hospitalized After Burned in House Fire
- UPDATE: Debris Fire Continues to Burn, Smoke on 441
- Elderly Man Badly Burned in Fire