Arrest Made in Gilchrist County Homicide
TRENTON, Fla. -- Gilchrist County Sheriff's Office made an arrest in the death of a Gilchrist county woman.
53-year-old Michael Darnell Porter was arrested Saturday for the home invasion and murder of Joyce Burrow of Bell.
Late Saturday night officials booked Porter into the Gilchrist County Jail, 11 days after the investigation began into the death of Burrow.
In a press conference earlier in the evening, Gilchrist County Sheriff Robert Schultz thanked the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the Levy County Sheriff's Office along with other local law enforcement and the community for their help and support throughout the investigation.
Schultz told TV20 Porter was a resident of Levy county; he was arrested on a warrant in the panhandle around 5 p.m. after reentering the state of Florida from Alabama.
Officials would only say Porter was in Alabama on work-related business, and they are not releasing many details about the investigation that led to his arrest.
They would not comment at this point on whether Porter knew Burrow before the encounter that led to her death.
Porter was booked into the Gilchrist County Jail shortly after 11 p.m. Saturday and is being held on a 14 million dollar bond.
GCSO released pictures of Porter and his truck, and are asking anyone who may have seen it in the Gilchrist County area around the time of the incident to contact the Gilchrist County Sheriff's Office.
- Gilchrist County Homicide, Victim Dies Fleeing From Intruder
- 'Suspicious Death' In Gilchrist County Ruled A Homicide
- Marion County Sheriff's deputies search for missing family
- Arrest made in Ocala shooting
- Arrest made in Archer shooting
- Man Behind Bars For Gilchrist County Murder
- MCSO: deputies still searching for clues to solve Ronnie Damon's homicide
- Commissioners want less drug possession arrests, cut sheriff's budget
- Deputies: string of burglaries span four counties
- Meth Lab Busted in Inglis, 12 Arrested