Clay County Teenager Severely Injured in Storage Barn Shooting
Published August 1st, 2013
CLAY COUNTY -- A Clay County teenager had to be airlifted to the hospital with severe injuries Wednesday night after a shooting inside a storage barn left the teen, and one other man, injured.
Sheriff's deputies say the caretaker of a large piece of industrial property right outside of Keystone Heights was surprised to find one of the doors on his storage barn open when he returned.
After retrieving a shotgun from inside his car, deputies say the caretaker, who is only identified as a man in his 70's, then went inside the barn only to find three teenagers.
The man eventually made all three teens lay down on the ground before deputies say some sort of altercation took place, during which the shotgun went off.
The shotgun blast injured both the caretaker, as well as one of the teens, who had to be airlifted to UF Health Shands.
While deputies are not saying much else, nearby residents tell TV20 that kids in the neighborhood often play in the large clay pit located on the property, despite the many "no trespassing" signs that surround it.
As of Wednesday night, deputies were still trying to piece together what exactly happened inside that barn. Much of the investigation was hampered by Wednesday's severe weather.
There is no word yet on whether any charges will be filed against the property caretaker.
- 14-Pound Baby Born to Keystone Heights Couple At UF Health Shands
- Low Lake Levels in Keystone Heights Could Be Moved Lower
- Heartfelt Message from Texas Lands in Keystone Heights Yard
- Keystone Heights Man Fatally Shot by ASO Deputies
- Vandalism in Keystone Heights Cemetery
- Keystone Heights Woman Recovers From H1N1 Virus
- Keystone Heights Airport Offers a Chance to Fly Restored WWII Aircraft
- 6 Dogs Killed By Owner In Keystone Heights
- Several Children Injured In I-75 Crash Involving FHP Trooper
- Severely Injured