Investigators ID Ocklawaha Homicide Victim, as Deputies Search for His Killer
Published August 30th, 2013
OCKLAWAHA - "One of the most gruesome death scenes" they've come across in a long time -- that's how investigators are describing the Marion County home where an elderly man was found dead earlier this week.
Sheriff's deputies say Stanley Yassen, 74, was "brutally" killed inside his Ocklawaha home by an unknown attacker sometime Wednesday afternoon.
Investigators say there were no signs of forced entry on Yassen's home, leading them to believe Yassen may have known his attacker.
"Our major crimes detectives work a lot of death scenes, and I can tell you that with their experience, they've commented that this is probably one of the most gruesome death scenes that they've worked in a long time," said Cpt. James Pogue of the Marion County Sheriff's Office.
While some of Yassen's neighbors describe him as a good man, records show he was no stranger to law enforcement.
Yassen was last arrested back in 2003 on one charge of retail theft. According to a newspaper article, Yassen was also arrested back in 1993 while living in New Hampshire for allegedly transporting more than five pounds of marijuana.
Because there was so much blood at Yassen's home, deputies are asking the public to give them a call if they saw anyone wearing blood-stained clothing on Wednesday afternoon. Anyone with information should call Detective T.J. Watts at (352) 732-9111.
- Marion County Sheriff's Deputy Will Not Be Getting His Job Back
- Gilchrist County Homicide, Victim Dies Fleeing From Intruder
- Inmates Beat Victim, Threaten Justin Soto
- Marion Deputies Search For Man Who Shot Andre Thomas
- Double Homicide In Marion County
- MCSO Investigating "Suspicious Death" Inside Ocklawaha Home
- Steinbrenner Left His Mark at UF and Marion County
- Two Marion County Sheriff's Officials Come Under Fire After Internal Investigations
- Fire Marshal Investigating Several Suspicious Fires in Marion County
- Investigation Continues In The Death Of A Marion County Man