One Man Still In Critical Condition After Shooting In Lake Butler
LAKE BUTLER, Fla. -- Union County Sheriff's Deputies are still trying to determine what might've led 72-year-old Hubert Allen Jr. to shoot five people, killing three including himself.
One of his victims remains in critical condition at UF Health in Gainesville where friends and family say he's fighting for his life.
In an instant, a quiet Saturday at work was turned upside down.
Jimmy Uhl works with 44-year-old David Griffis and was by his side until he was taken by medical personnel.
"He asked me 'don't let me die' so I stayed until I couldn't stay no more," Uhl says.
Griffis was one of four men shot saturday morning when 72-year-old Hubert Allen Jr went on an apparent shooting spree before taking his own life.
Friends and family say Griffis remains in critical condition after undergoing surgery... now loved ones are gathering and asking the community for help.
A blood drive in his name collected much needed supplies and support.
"He's a good person," his cousin, John Griffis says, "easy going, easy to get along with, out to make friends with everybody he could."
They say they're happy to do what they can, as they wait for good news among events leaving a community in shock.
"It makes me feel great," Griffis says, "it'd make me feel even better if he pulls through."
Some other good news today, deputies say 66-year-old Lewis Mabrey Jr - one of the other men shot yesterday - is ready to be released from the hospital following a successful surgery.
- Gunman in Lake Butler Shooting Spree Left Behind a Note
- Fight With a Beer Bottle Puts One Man Behind Bars and Another in Critical Condition
- Man in Critical Condition After Losing Control of Car
- One Man Dead, Another in Serious Condition After Marion County Car Crash
- Ocala Police Officer In Critical Condition After Crash
- Lake City Man Faces Attempted Murder Charges, After Shooting Friend
- Morning Accident Leaves Man in Critical Condition
- Third Victim of Lake Butler Shooting Spree Dies
- Shooting Leads to Captain's Death and Man in Serious Condition at Shands
- Lake City Police Still Investigating Accidental Shooting Death of 11-Year Old Boy