Residents Weigh in on Changes to NW 8th Ave
Published August 6th, 2013
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Two Gainesville road projects that would, in part, benefit bicyclists are finally moving forward.
Changes to NW 8th Avenue are a test that city officials hope will generate feedback.
It's been two days of what will be a months long change to north west 8th Ave as officials say they want to study the effects the new pattern would have on the city's traffic, bikers, and pedestrians.
Some residents say they don't need months they're ready to make their opinions heard today.
Residents who aren't happy with the changes won't hesitate to voice their concerns, but these changes are only temporary.
The freshly painted patterns from Northwest 23rd St to Northwest 31st Drive will be in effect through Thanksgiving.
"We really wanted to look at this during the peak traffic moments, like during football season," City Public Works Spokesman Chip Skinner says, "so we really want a good test case going on to be able to look at all the traffic patterns associated with different events, school starting, and things like that."
It's a $12,000 test. That's the cost of painting the road.
Skinner says now is the time to give feedback
Whether you're for or against the changes, knowing you can have an impact in the outcome has made some people a little more invested in this piece of their city.
Meanwhile, City Commissioners have already been receiving emails from residents, but Skinner says at this point it's best to call the number they've set up for the project, (352) 334-5072.
For more information, visit http://dmzlist.gvlfl.org/read/archive?id=173587
- Road Options Reviewed for 8th Ave Gainesville
- A Change at SW 8th Ave & SW 91st Street?
- Residents Reaction to Northwest 8th Ave Project
- More changes for Northwest 8th construction project
- Road Construction Between 8th & Depot Starts Today
- Changes For Northwest 8th Avenue In Gainesville... From 4-Lane to 2-Lane
- Northwest 8th Ave Project Moved to Nightside Meeting
- New lane conversion plans for NW 8th Ave.
- NW 8th Ave. back open after power line falls in roadway
- Northwest Gainesville Road Construction Frustrates Drivers