Shooting at Arapahoe HS in Littleton just south of Denver; at least 2 shot.
School District Unveils Text Message Emergency Contact System
Published August 20th, 2013
ALACHUA COUNTY- It started out with automated home phone messages and now Alachua County School District administrators are calling a new texting program a natural progression in reaching out to parents.
A new year means many changes for students and parents in Alachua County, one of them, an emergency alert text messaging program is getting a warm reception from parents.
On this year's emergency contact forms parents can choose whether or not they would like to receive the messages.
The school district will only send messages in emergency situations.
Spokeperson for Alachua County Schools, Jackie Johnson explains, "If there is a school wide or district wide emergency schools closing because of a hurricane for example or an evacuation parents can receive text messages immediately."
Alachua County isn't the only district in our area to take a step further into the digital age.
Marion County School Board has a similar program for parents called School Connect.
The app launched last year and is available to Apple and Android users, so far the program has over 2 thousand downloads.
- Text Messaging in Three Regional Emergency Rooms.
- Unauthorized Text Message
- Best Buy Scam Targeting Holiday Shoppers Through Text Message
- Local Statehouse Representative Unveils New District Office
- Inspirational Messages in Schools
- New Grading System for Florida High Schools
- School Bus System & Privatization Marion County
- School Board District 2 Race Preview
- School Board District 4 Race
- School District's Decision To Sue Postponed