School District Unveils Text Message Emergency Contact System
Published August 20th, 2013
ALACHUA COUNTY- It started out with automated home phone messages and now Alachua County School District administrators are calling a new texting program a natural progression in reaching out to parents.
A new year means many changes for students and parents in Alachua County, one of them, an emergency alert text messaging program is getting a warm reception from parents.
On this year's emergency contact forms parents can choose whether or not they would like to receive the messages.
The school district will only send messages in emergency situations.
Spokeperson for Alachua County Schools, Jackie Johnson explains, "If there is a school wide or district wide emergency schools closing because of a hurricane for example or an evacuation parents can receive text messages immediately."
Alachua County isn't the only district in our area to take a step further into the digital age.
Marion County School Board has a similar program for parents called School Connect.
The app launched last year and is available to Apple and Android users, so far the program has over 2 thousand downloads.
- Text Messaging in Three Regional Emergency Rooms.
- Intelligent Transportation System Unveiled on Interstate 75
- Best Buy Scam Targeting Holiday Shoppers Through Text Message
- Unauthorized Text Message
- Local Statehouse Representative Unveils New District Office
- Inspirational Messages in Schools
- School Bus System & Privatization Marion County
- New Grading System for Florida High Schools
- School district investigation closed in school bus assault
- GRU Says to Avoid Contact With Hogtown Creek