Suspicious Letters Scare in Marion County
Published August 16th, 2013
Opening today's mail turned into a nightmare of an Ocala Police Department records clerk, and then for other county employees who received suspicious letters.
Ocala and Marion County Fire Rescue were called out to the Ocala Police Department this morning to clear the building and hazmat teams moved the clerk to a contained area to make sure she wasn't contaminated.
After tests, the substance was found to be a non-hazardous, corn starch-like material.
Two staff members at the Marion County Clerk of Courts Office also opened a suspicious letter and had to be checked out, but that letter also had corn starch-like material in it.
Police officials don't know who sent the letter but they say because of the clerk's duties, they can narrow it down to other possibilities.
"If she's opening it, i would assume it's not addressed to an individual person. It would have been addressed to either the records section or records clerk, or somebody in general for her to have been opening it at that point in time."
The Marion County Jail and the School Districts also received letter but did not open them because of warnings from authorities.
The letters were addressed to the agencies but did not have a return to sender on them.
All of envelopes have been sent off for further testing.
Lauren Lettelier,TV20 News
- Ocala man accused of burning neighbor's house while she was home
- Phone video shows altercation as an Ocala man fires a rifle wildly near home
- Ocala babysitter charged with murder of an 11-month-old baby
- MCSO: Ocala man arrested after going AWOL from the U.S. Air Force 45 years ago
- 11th Suspicious Letter Received in Marion County
- Deputies: 16-year-old attempted robbery suspect could be charged as adult
- Lake Weir High School substitute teacher accused of touching students inappropriately
- Woman dies in Silver Springs Shores house fire
- MCSO: Gunman's bullets narrowly miss 2 boys playing inside Ocala home
- Woman hospitalized after being shot inside a van in Marion Oaks