There are multiple victims in a shooting in the town of Bell. We have confirmed there are deaths.
Tax Free Weekend Begins at Midnight as Parents Buy School Supplies
GAINESVILLE - At the stroke of midnight tonight, tax free weekend begins for Floridians, and there are some new things you can add to the shopping list this year.
It's a weekend that the director of the University of Florida's Bureau of Economic Research says causes a noticeabale bump in U.S. spending; a bump that the state estimates will cost them $28.3 million in lost tax revenue.
Tax free weekend must be re-approved every year by the Florida Legislature, and this year it was approved with an addition - computers can now be bought tax free, as long as they cost $750 or less.
The term "personal computer" also includes items like tablets and electronic book readers, but not cell phones.
The UF expert we spoke to also says that there are a lot of things that the Florida legislature would cut before they would cut tax free weekend.
He says that it has also been shown that people save much of their school supply shopping for this weekened.
Some stores report they will have extended hours for shopping:
Friday: opens at 8:00 a.m. and closes at 10:00 p.m.
Extended hours Friday and Saturday
Sunday: open until 7:00 p.m.
- Tax Free Weekend Brings Big Crowds for Back to School Shopping
- Tax Free Weekend Helps Local Business
- Buy S.M.A.R.T. Begins Thursday
- School Supplies Giveaway
- A Month Away From School As Teachers Spend Their Own Money on Supplies
- State Sales Tax Holiday Begins Friday
- Program Offers Free Tax Help
- Free Pet Adoptions This Weekend
- Four Schools Offer Free After School Program
- Sales Tax Holiday Weekend