ASO: Robbery Victim Chases Assailants, Faces Gunfire
Published September 18th, 2013
ALACHUA COUNTY -- Two would-be robbers got much more than they bargained for at an Alachua County supermarket Tuesday.
According to Alachua County Sheriff's deputies, two men robbed another man of his cash around 1 p.m. Tuesday in the parking lot of the Publix near Archer and Tower Roads.
Determined not to let the robbers get away, deputies say the victim then followed the men in their getaway car, which is when things quickly escalated.
"When the complainant began to follow the suspects, it's my understanding that one of the suspects, believed to be the driver, turned and shot from the driver's window," said Lt. Todd Kelly of the Alachua County Sheriff's Office.
While the victim was not hit by the bullet, he was able to lead deputies to the suspect's car.
Deputies eventually tracked down and arrested the alleged driver, Gary Lavonne Terry, 23, as well as his passenger, Artavis Jamar Mallary, 29.
Both Terry and Mallary were booked into the Alachua County Jail. Terry faces numerous charges, including assault with intent to commit a felony. Mallary is charged with resisting arrest.
- ASO: Woman Lied About Being Shot In Neck By Stranger
- ASO: Deputy on paid administrative leave after death of K-9
- ASO: Woman kidnapped and sold for sex
- Early Morning Robbery Leads to Car Chase
- Suspects Take Victim's Clothes In Armed Robbery
- Williston Man Exchanges Gunfire with MCSO SWAT Team
- Gunfire Goes Off In An Alachua Neighborhood
- Campus Standoff Ends With Gunfire
- Gunfire in School Parking Lot
- Update Expected for Victim in Face-chewing Attack