GPD Officers Avoid Crisis in Weekend Standoff
Published September 23rd, 2013
GAINESVILLE- Days after military contractor Aaron Alexis shot and killed 12 people in a Washington DC naval yard, a former military captain with local ties is in custody on aggravated assault charges.
A standoff between a heavily armed Robert Brooks II and law enforcement, could've turned deadly Saturday morning, but instead resulted with an arrest.
Witnesses to the standoff at Ridgemar Commons Apartments, recall it as one of the scariest nights of their lives.
One of the aggravated assault victims TV20 spoke with wishes to remain unnamed, but says the heated argument between Brooks and his ex girlfriend, Zamora Hernandez sparked over a trip to get yogurt with him and his friends.
This victim says that he and his roommate accompanied Hernandez on the yogurt run.
If actions could speak words, it was a trip that Brooks was by no mean comfortable with.
- GPD: Hit and Run Driver Flees To Avoid Traffic Ticket
- GPD arrests man after standoff
- Additional Charges May Be Filed Against SWAT Standoff Suspect
- A Federal Gun Charge Could Be Filed Against SWAT Standoff Suspect
- MCSO: Sergeant, man shot during standoff
- GPD Honored at The Capitol
- 4th Annual GPD Shop with a Cop event
- GPD Holds Family Field Day Over the Weekend
- MCSO: ATV rider reports being shot in arm during Superbowl weekend in Dunnellon
- UF Professor Examines Crisis in Syria