Elderly Man Badly Burned in Fire
OCALA- A North Central Florida man is in the hospital after he was badly burned. It happened early this morning in a senior citizen community in Marion County.
Officials are not releasing the name of the elderly man, but a resident of the Sweetwater Oaks community gave us a telephone directory, which lists names and numbers for all residents.
According to the directory and neighbors we spoke to, the man who lives in the home is named Charles Radic.
"I went outside to feed the cats and the house down the street is on fire."
A resident called 9-1-1 after seeing her neighbor’s home catch fire. The first call came in at about 4:50 in the morning. Just seven minutes later the homeowner called 9-1-1.
"I don't know what happened. We were sleeping and all of a sudden my wife woke me up screaming that the house was full of smoke and the smoke detectors were going off." said Charles Radic.
A couple of residents of Sweetwater Oaks community said Charles and Roberta Radic are the owners of the double -wide mobile home that caught fire on Tuesday morning.
"The flames are coming from the back of the house," said Radic.
During the 9-1-1 call Radic said his wife and their dog managed to get out of the house, but he was still inside the home while on the phone with the 9-1-1 dispatcher.
"Where are you at inside the house," asked the dispatcher.
"Right now I am in the bedroom trying to get dressed," said Radic.
"Don’t worry about getting dressed. I need you to get out of the house," said the dispatcher.
But Radic stayed trapped inside, while flames ripped through the home. When Marion County fire fighters arrived, they immediately searched for Radic.
"They found the 75- year -old man unconscious. They removed him from the home. They were able to rescue him and immediately started treated and transported to Ocala Regional Medical Center," said Jessica Greene who is the Marion County Fire Rescue Public Information Officer.
Soon after he was airlifted to UF Health Shands hospital at the University of Florida after suffering burns to 30 percent of his body,
"At this point we don't know what the cause of the fire was or where it started. The State Fire Marshals is currently investigating," said Greene.
Officials with UF Health Shands would not give us an update on Radic.
- Marion County Man Dies in House Fire
- Unknown Hero Rescues Elderly Man From Burning Home
- Man Burned In Early Morning House Fire
- Investigation Shows Fuel Spill at Marion County Fire Rescue Station Larger than First Reported
- Mobile Home Fire Kills Marion County Man
- Burning Rescue In Columbia County
- Gainesville Woman Hospitalized After Burned in House Fire
- Neighbor Saves Elderly Man from Apartment Fire
- Locals Competing in 2013 World Police and Fire Games
- Westboro Church Radicals' Protests Spark Outrage In Alachua County