One Woman Dead After Tree Falls on Home
Published November 13th, 2013
GAINESVILLE- A family is in mourning after strong winds blew over a rotten oak tree on top of a house, killing a woman in her bed.
Dawn Ewing and her boyfriend, Michael Braton-- both 42 years old-- were asleep when the tree fell on them.
The chances that the tree would not only fall on a home but also take the lives of one of the inhabitants are pretty slim according to law enforcement.
Alachua County Sheriff's Office Public Information Officer, Art Forgey describes the incident, "definitely a freak accident, we respond to trees down most usually they're across a roadway or something that's typically where we see it or they've struck a house and not injured someone."
Braton made the 911 call while he was pinned under the tree and stated over the phone that he believed his girlfriend had already died.
Ewing was pronounced dead at the home along Southwest 33rd Place in Gainesville.
Three children ages 5,9, and 12, were inside the home at the time of the accident, but none of them were hurt.
They are currently staying with a family friend.
- Broken Family to Relocate After Tree Falls on Home
- Tree Falls on Ocala Mobile Home
- Massive Tree Falls on Home, Family Makes it out Alive
- Tropical Storm Andrea: Trees Fall On Homes & Cars
- Tree Falls on Home in Northwest Gainesville
- Heavy Rains Cause Tree to Fall Through Ocala Home
- Tree Falls on Gainesville Home
- Teen Dies After 50-Foot Fall While Working For Tree Service
- Gainesville Family Gets Rude Awakening After Tree Falls on House
- Man Hospitalized After 15-Foot Fall From Tree