Thousands of Dollars Worth of Tools Stolen from Two "Habitat for Humanity" Homes
Published November 15th, 2013
GAINESVILLE -- Their mission is to build affordable housing for those in need -- but for the second time in as many weeks, someone has managed to put the mission of the Alachua County Habitat for Humanity office in jeopardy by stealing thousands of dollars worth of tools.
According to Habitat officials, the thefts started last week when volunteers returned to the site of a Gainesville home under construction off Waldo Road and found several thousand dollars worth of equipment missing -- everything ranging from power tools to hand tools.
Officials say the tools were left sitting overnight inside a bolted construction trailer.
After notifying police, Habitat officials thought their worries were over -- that is until Thursday morning, when crews showed up at a second Gainesville Habitat home just ten blocks away and found another set of tools was stolen from there as well.
"In a way, its dispiriting," said Scott Winzeler, Executive Director of Alachua Habitat for Humanity. "In some sense, it makes you grateful for all the support we have gotten from the community over time. I've been here for three-and-a-half years, and this is the first time anything like this has happened," said Winzeler.
Officials say the stolen tools were accumulated over time through numerous donations, and their theft will now set the non-profit back by at least $8,000.
It appears as though Gainesville is not the only place these crimes are occurring. According to published reports out of Orlando, tools were also stolen from a Habitat home in Sanford earlier this week.
If you have any information as to who is behind these thefts, you're asked to call the Gainesville Police Department.
- Two Stolen School Buses from Alachua County Found Near Jacksonville
- Two Buses Stolen From Alachua County School District Lot
- $30,000 Worth of Antique Coins Stolen
- Pledge 5, Habitat For Humanity and Volunteer Day
- Palestinian Delegates Visit Interfaith Habitat for Humanity House
- Habitat For Humanity House
- Habitat For Humanity Cutting Jobs In Marion County
- Habitat for Humanity in High Springs
- Church Members Accuse Pastor Of Swindling Thousands Of Dollars
- "10,000 Homes Initiative" Could Upgrade Homes in Alachua County