Backpack Program Ensures Kids Won't Go Home Hungry for the Holidays
Published December 19th, 2013
GAINESVILLE- One school program in Alachua County is working to make sure children will eat well... Even when they aren't in the school cafeteria.
The Food 4 Kids Backpack Program of north florida has been active in our area for the last three years.
The program is active in 22 schools throughout Alachua Levy and Cixie county.
Students are enrolled in the program based on identified need within schools K thru 12
Food 4 Kids Program Representative Stacey Shorb explains how it all works, "We send a backpack full of food with them on Fridays enough to supplement a little food for them over the weekends and Monday they bring the backpack back."
846 boxes were filled for families in the food 4 kids program and additional students in need.
Backpack program founder, Jen Moore says her dream is for food to be available to all the children in need in North Florida.
- One Thing you Won't See in Downtown Ocala this Holiday Season
- Food4Kids Backpack Program Ramps Up
- New Gilchrist County Backpack Program Feeds Kids
- EMT's Won't Get Raise
- Fla: Computer switch won't hurt those seeking aid
- Towing Companies Won't Be Suspended
- Engineers Making Sure Bridge Won't Collapse
- UF President Machen Announces He Won't Seek New Term
- Rapper Plies Won't Pay
- Ducks Won't Be Euthanized