Body Found Off of University Avenue
GAINESVILLE - A homeless man has found a body in the woods off of University Avenue and now Gainesville Police are trying to identify the remains.
TV 20 was the first on scene and police think the body is an adult male, but they don't know how long its been there.
The remains were found off Univeristy Avenue across from Loften High School in what appears to be a homeless camp.
Now officials are trying to figure out who has jurisdiction over the investigation.
Officer Ben Tobias, Gainesville Police Department: "we got a call from a homeless individual who located a body about 500 yards behind us in the woods here. We are working very closely with the sheriff's office because it's on that line of being within the city's jurisdiction or not so we want to make sure that we conduct a proper investigation into the body that's been found."
Police say the body is in a state of decomposition and they are treating it like a crime scene because it is not obvious what happened to the person.
Police say the body is decomposed to the point it is hard to figure out any other identifying features.
- Body Found In Lake Weir After Woman Falls Off Boat
- City approves $3.1 million in assistance for new development
- Lights Out In Downtown Gainesville
- Early Morning Attack Ends in Murder for Unidentified Gainesville Man
- GPD increasing patrols after two recent assaults
- New apartment could displace music venue
- Pedestrian killed after being hit by a car
- Children Found Living in "Deplorable" Conditions
- FWC searching for missing boater's body off Cedar Key
- Gator Jazz and Blues Festival Kicks Off Homecoming Weekend