Formal Charges Filed Against Hampton Mayor
GAINESVILLE - One town in North Central Florida may or may not have a mayor in the near future.
The State Attorney's Office has formally filed charges against Hampton Mayor Barry Moore.
Moore was arrested in Novemeber in Polk County on a Bradford County Sheriff's Office warrant.
He was then transported to the Bradford County Jail on December 2nd where he remains at this hour.
The State Attorney's office formally charged him on December 6th for the illegal prescription and sale of a prescription narcotic.
Moore's bond, set at $45,000 has not been paid.
The State Attorney's Office says Moore's attorney can file for a bond reduction and hearings would take place if that's the case.
Meanwhile, the governor has suspended Moore, awaiting sentencing.
The suspended mayor has a prior criminal history, including battery and violation of his probation.
Whether these priors are taken into account by a judge will be saved for sentencing.
Darry Lloyd, State Attorney's Office: "This case has to be charged separately than his history so his history shouldn't have any bearing on what his charge is now. At the conclusion of it if it goes to trial then certainly the judge can take some of that into account for sentencing but as far as the case goes this is completely different than what he has done int he past."
Whether or not this case will go before a jury or just a judge is still unknown.
If Mayor Moore is found guilty on the felony charge the governor's office has the final say over whether or not Moore is allowed to remain in office.
- No Charges Filed Against Bus Driver in Teen Fight
- Additional Charges May Be Filed Against SWAT Standoff Suspect
- A Federal Gun Charge Could Be Filed Against SWAT Standoff Suspect
- No Charges Filed Against Former Waldo Police Chief
- State will not file murder charges against Kornegay sisters
- Former Mayor Of Hampton To Spend Time Behind Bars
- The City of Hampton Gets A New City Council and Mayor
- Criminal Charges to be Filed Against Zimmerman
- Hampton City Leaders Dispute State Audit, as Sheriff Considers Criminal Charges
- Sworn Complaint Filed In Allegations Involving Alachua Mayor